Murungai Keerai vadai is a healthy fried evening snack prepared adding drumstick leaves to the channa dal mixture. This is rich in protein and Iron as spinach is added. Masal vadai is a famous south Indian tea shop snack and we get in evening from the nearby shop during rainy season.
My husband loves masal vadai a lot, so tried at home for the first time and everybody loved it. I had bunch of murungai Keerai at home, added that to the vadai mixture. Adding murungai Keerai makes the vadai healthy, flavorful and tasty.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Soaking time : 3 hours
Cooking time : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 12 vadai
- Channa dal – 1 cup (250 ml cup)
- Onion – 1
- Drumstick Leaves – 2 cups
- Mint leaves – 10
- Coriander leaves – 3 tsp
- Red chilli – 4
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 4
- Cloves – 3
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – for frying
1. Wash the channa dal. Soak it in water for 2-3 hours. Meanwhile wash the drumstick leaves well and keep aside.
2. Once done soaking, drain from water and add channa dal to the blender.
3. Add ginger, garlic, red chilli, Asafoetida, cumin seeds, Cloves and required salt to the blender. Sprinkle little water and grind into coarse paste.
4. Transfer grounded mixture into bowl, add washed drumstick leaves, finely chopped onion, mint leaves and coriander leaves to it.
5. Mix everything together and divide into lemon size balls. Flatten the balls pressing gently between the palms.
6. Heat oil in a pan, gently drop in 3-4 vadai mixture into oil. Flip occasionally and fry in medium flame until golden and crispy.
7. Remove from oil and drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
8. The tasty keerai vadai is ready.
9. Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee.