Murungai Keerai Poriyal is a healthy, tasty south Indian side dish. This goes well with simple rasam rice, sambar rice or you can also eat it as such. I always love to eat it with drumstick leaves rasam. I ask my mother to prepare this poriyal often as we had a drumstick tree at home before. It is very good to eat it often and especially recommended for nursing mother.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of murungai keerai poriyal below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Drumstick Leaves – 1 bunch or 3 cups
- Toor dal – 3 tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut grated – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 4
- Curry leaves – 8
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
1. Wash the toor dal and cook it adding water. Once it comes to slightly mashable consistency, drain excess water and keep aside. Wash the drumstick leaves well.
2. Heat a pan adding oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters add red chilli and curry leaves.
3. Add chopped onion and saute well until translucent. Pour little water and add the drumstick leaves to it.
4. Stir well and cook for a minute. The leaves will shrink. Now add salt, Asafoetida and sambar powder.
5. Mix together. Add cooked toor dal and cook until the water evaporates.
6. Finally add grated coconut and mix well.
7. The healthy drumstick leaves poriyal is ready.