Murungai Keerai Rasam is a healthy south Indian side dish for rice. The drumstick leaves is very good source of iron and has highly nutritional value. Whenever we get drumstick leaves, we prepare murungai keerai rasam and poriyal as both recipes can be prepared quickly for lunch. The cooked toor dal that is prepared for poriyal is added to this rasam.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of murungai keerai rasam below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Toor dal – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind juice – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Cooked murungai Keerai – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 5
- Salt – as required
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6
1. Wash the toor dal and boil it adding a cup of water until it is mashable.
2. Pour the tamarind juice along with required water and mix. Boil it in medium flame.
3. Add the cooked drumstick leaves to it and mix. Reduce the flame and boil in low flame.
4. Add required salt, Asafoetida, rasam powder, cumin powder and pepper powder to it. Mix well.
5. Roughly crush the garlic and add it the boiling rasam. Once it becomes frothy and starts boiling, switch off the flame.
6. Now temper the items given under “for tempering” and add it to rasam.
7. Mix well and serve it hot for rice with poriyal and appalam.