Mushroom pepper fry is a quick and tasty appetizer that goes well as a side dish for sambar and rice or chapathi, phulka. It is spicy and tastes like a restaurant style mushroom fry. You can also add capsicum to it. Adding sambar powder to this recipe is optional but sambar powder gives very good flavor and taste to the mushroom fry. I have already shared kerala style mushroom stir fry adding coconut. I had this pepper fry in a restaurant and wanted to try it for a long time.
My husband doesn’t like mushrooms so haven’t tried it. Now as I am at my mom’s place tried mushrooms and my brother liked it a lot. The dominant taste of pepper is the highlight of this recipe.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded video recipes for this mushroom pepper fry below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Button mushrooms – 200 gms
- Onion – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Garlic – 6 Cloves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pepper seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
1. Wash the mushrooms and slice into small pieces. Chop the onion and keep aside. Crush garlic and ginger roughly.
2. Take pepper seeds and Fennel seeds in a mortar and crush it well using pestle. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters add slited green chilli and curry leaves.
4. Add chopped onion and saute until it becomes translucent. Add crushed garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute.
5. Add mushrooms to it and saute well. The mushrooms will start leaving water and cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
6. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, crushed pepper Fennel seeds, Coriander powder and required salt.
7. Mix well and cook until the water evaporates and mushroom gets cooked.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot.