Nei payasam is a Kerala traditional recipe that is offered as prasadham in many temples in Kerala. This is a sweet rice pudding that is prepared with rice, jaggery and coconut. This payasam is also called aravana payasam. This is very pleasing and delicious and a must try recipe. This payasam is prepared with unakkalari rice but I prepared with normal rice as I didn’t have it during preparing this recipe.
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee – 4 tblspn
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
1. Wash and pressure cook rice for 4 whistles adding water. This rice has to be cooked soft.
2. Heat water adding jaggery until it dissolves. Filter to remove impurities and boil it again.
3. Once it boils and starts bubbling, add cooked rice and stir well.
4. Cook until the jaggery and rice blends well and becomes thick.
5. Then add coconut and ghee to it. Mix and cook for few minutes until ghee incorporates well.
6. Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder and stir well.
7. Finally add Cashews and raisins fried in ghee and mix together.