Nungu payasam recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Nungu is a seasonal fruit in southern Indian and well known for its cooling property in summer. It is jelly like fruit with lots of water content. The payasam with nungu is delicious, refreshing and cools the body. I got nungu yesterday and was thinking of recipe with it. First I thought of making nungu idli that I had once in my relatives marriage.
Then came across this recipe in yummy tummy blog and gave a try. It is absolutely delicious and very easy to make. I have added chironji (Sara paruppu in tamil) which gives nutty taste to the kheer. You can add any nuts of your choice.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- Elaneer payasam
- Kasa kasa payasam
- Thengai payasam
- Muskmelon rice pudding
- Pumpkin kheer
- Mango payasam
- Carrot payasam
I have uploaded the video recipe for nungu payasam below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Nungu – 5
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 6 tbsp
- Cardamom – 3
- Chironji / Sara paruppu – 3 tbsp
1. Remove the outer skin of nungu. Take 3 nungu in a blender and puree it. Take the remaining 2 nungu and chop into small pieces. Keep aside.
2. Boil milk in a pan. Once it comes to boil, reduce the flame and add sugar to it.
3. Stir until the sugar dissolves and add crushed cardamom. Boil in low flame until the milk reduces a little.
4. Add Sara paruppu and mix. Remove from flame and allow it to cool completely.
5. Once cooled, add the nungu puree and sliced nungu pieces to the milk.
6. Mix well and refrigerate it. Serve it chilled and enjoy.
This is the best cooling and refreshing dessert to enjoy in this hot summers.