Nuvvula appalu is a traditional south Indian sankranti festival recipe. It is special wheat flour patties fried in oil. It is crispy outside and soft inside. It is flavorful with sesame seeds on top. This is like a instant Adhirasam recipe. I saw this recipe in blendwithspices by harichandana. Immediately tried it and slightly modified adding red rice flour. This is simple, quick and delicious. Also this recipe serves as perfect evening snack.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- Traditional Adhirasam recipe
- Krishna sweets style mysore pak
- Ellu Kozhukattai
- Peanut Modak
- Rava ladoo with condensed milk
- Achu murukku
- Atta halwa
I have uploaded video recipe of this Adhirasam below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 15
Recipe courtesy : blendwithspices
- Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Red rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Heat a pan with water. Add powdered jaggery to it and boil until the jaggery dissolves.
2. Keep it in medium flame and add cardamom powder. Mix well.
3. Now add wheat flour and rice flour to the jaggery syrup. Stir continuously without any lumps.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame until everything comes together as mixture.
5. Add ghee and mix well to form smooth dough. Remove from flame and allow it to cool completely.
6. Grease hands with ghee. Take small portion of dough and roll into balls.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds and press the ball between palms to flatten it. Repeat for remaining dough.
8. Heat oil in pan and drop it one by one. Fry in medium flame until it turns golden brown on both sides.
9. Remove from oil and drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
10. Serve hot and enjoy this traditional sweet.