Oats appam is a healthy, delicious evening snack. The kerala appam is usually prepared with wheat flour, jaggery and coconut. This oats appam is a healthy alternative to normal appam. It is prepared with paniyaram pan or appe pan. You can also deep fry or shallow fry in oil. Banana is added to this paniyaram, you can also skip it and eat as such. You can add grated coconut or coconut milk to the recipe if you want it in vegan version.
You can see similar recipes here:
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 15 appam
- Instant oats – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 3
- Sugar or jaggery – 5 tbsp
- Banana – 4 small size
- Salt – pinch
- Milk / water – 1 cup
- Oil / ghee – as required
1. Take instant oats in a grinder jar and powder it finely. Add it to a mixing bowl.
2. Add wheat flour, rice flour, sugar, salt and crushed cardamom to the bowl and mix everything with a spoon.
3. Mash banana and add it to the flour mixture along with milk. Mix everything to get a thick batter in pouring consistency.
4. Heat paniyaram pan adding oil in all the holes. Pour a ladle full of batter on all holes and cook until it turns brown.
5. Gently turn to the other side and cook. Once it turns golden on all sides, remove from flame.
6. Serve hot and enjoy as evening snack.
You can add powdered jaggery or jaggery syrup instead of sugar to make it healthier.
You can also have a look at savory kuzhi paniyaram or vella paniyaram recipe at my friend blog Anto’s Kitchen.