Pachai sundakkai puli kulambu is a delicious south Indian chettinad style kulambu prepared with fresh sundakkai. The sundakkai is crushed before preparing to reduce the bitterness. It is coconut based puli kulambu that goes well with rice and dosa. You can also prepare vathal kulambu with this berries.
This is one of the recipes that my readers have requested and finally got sundakkai to try it. Sundakkai is very good for health and has many benefits. It is good to include it once in a week in our diet.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- Vendakkai puli kulambu
- Mochakottai kara kulambu
- Pumpkin puli curry
- Surakkai puli kulambu
- Vengaya puli kulambu
I have uploaded the recipe video of pachai sundakkai puli kulambu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 35 minutes
No. Of serving : 5
- Sundakkai – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic – 6
- Red chilli – 4
- Tamarind juice – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
1. Wash the sundakkai well and crush it using mortar and pestle. Crushing is important to remove bitterness.
2. Take coconut, Fennel seeds, Coriander seeds in a blender. Add little water and grind into coconut paste. Keep aside.
1. Heat oil in a Kadai, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters add curry leaves and red chilli.
2. Add sliced onion and saute well until it turns translucent. Add crushed garlic and saute until raw smell goes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. Add the crushed sundakkai and saute for a minute.
4. Now add the tamarind juice and mix well. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and required salt.
5. Stir and cook in medium flame until oil seperates and sundakkai gets cooked.
6. Add the coconut mixture and mix well. Reduce the flame to low and cook for few minutes until it becomes thick.
7. Add sugar and mix. Garnish with coriander leaves. The sundakkai kulambu is ready.
8. Serve it hot for cooked rice along with vadam or appalam.