Mexican sweet corn cake is soft, moist and has the fresh flavour of corn. This is delicious dessert served in many restaurants in Mexico after the meal. The original recipe is made with eggs, I have tried it without eggs and slightly modified the recipe. The taste will be mild and chunky due to the corn kernels. I have prepared two layered cake and served pouring caramel sauce at top which adds to the taste and flavour.
Fresh or frozen corns can be used. If using frozen corns thaw it before proceeding. This cake is super healthy, as it is prepared with wheat flour and corn.
Here is the video recipe of sweet corn cake with caramel sauce.
- Corn kernels – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 1 and 1/4 cup
- Condensed milk – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Oil / Melted butter – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla / strawberry essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Cherries – for garnishing
FOR CARAMEL SAUCE:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 2 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 180° C. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and grease with butter. I have used 2 small tins for making layers.
2. Take wheat flour in a bowl and add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix everything together.
3. Add corn kernels to mixer and pulse until chunky. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
4. Then add oil, condensed milk, sugar and essence ( I have added strawberry essence). Mix everything until the sugar dissolves and everything combined.
5. Now add wheat flour to the wet ingredients and mix gently. Add milk and stir to get a thick batter in pouring consistency.
6. Pour the batter into greased pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow it to cool in wire rack. Meanwhile caramel sauce can be prepared.
8. Heat sugar and water in a non stick pan. Cook it in medium flame until the sugar dissolves and becomes slight brown.
9. Then add butter and stir until the butter melts. Add cream and stir with a whisk until it starts to bubble.
10. The caramel sauce is ready. Remove from flame and pour the sauce over the cake arranged in layers.
11. Garnish with cherries on top and relish the delicious caramel corn cake.
- If serving the cake as such without adding caramel sauce then increase the quantity of sugar to 3/4 cup.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt to caramel to make salted caramel sauce and 1 tsp of vanilla essence to make vanilla caramel sauce.
- The caramel sauce can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator and used when needed.