Panagam recipe with step-wise pictures. Panagam is a traditional healthy drink given in temples and prepared mostly during Sri Rama Navami. It smells and tastes divinely and also a perfect thirst quencher during summer. We use to prepare it at home during our car festival (ther) in our native. It is flavored with some spices and basil leaves are added. My mother told me that during wedding, the panagam is exchanged in earthen pots between the people of bride and bridegroom houses in those days in our village. Let’s see how to make panagam.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Water – 3 cups
- Powdered Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Pepper seeds – 6
- Cardamom – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Lemon – 1/2
- Tulasi / basil leaves – for garnishing
1. Take water in a bowl, add powdered jaggery to the water and mix until it dissolves.
2. Add washed ginger, pepper seeds and cardamom to a mortar. Crush everything coarsely using a pestle and add it to the jaggery water.
3. Squeeze juice of half lemon to the jaggery water. Stir well and filter using a strainer.
4. Add basil leaves and serve the panagam chilled.
Enjoy this refreshing drink in summer.