Puttu is a traditional south Indian healthy recipe that is usually prepared with rice, ragi and wheat flours. Puttu with paruppu is something new to me. I wanted to make many puttu recipes and came across this recipe in a Tamil magazine cook book that we got long before in my mom’s place. The taste is too good and I liked it so much. I always like the pooranam prepared for stuffing in obbattu and this puttu is more like that stuffing. This is also healthy and can be served as breakfast or evening snacks.
Soaking time : 1 hour
Preparation time : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cashews – 5
- Cardamom – 2
- Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Wash the moong dal twice and soak for one hour adding required water.
2. Once soaked, drain the water and add the moong dal into a blender. Sprinkle little water and grind into smooth paste.
3. Add this smooth paste into a greased idli plate and steam cook for 15 minutes until it gets cooked.
4. Take the cooked paruppu idlies in a plate and crumble it with hands. You can also pulse it in mixie to get crumbles.
5. Heat ghee in a pan, add the crumbles to it. Now add sugar, grated coconut and crushed cardamom to it.
6. Mix and cook for a minute in low flame until the sugar dissolves and everything combines.
7. The tasty paruppu puttu is ready.
- Instead of sugar, jaggery syrup or palm sugar can be added.