Pasi paruppu payasam is well known festival payasam in South India. This is usually prepared during festivals like vinayagar chathurthi and tamil new year. I like this payasam a lot especially the payasam given in temples adding peanuts. I will post that version too soon.
Here is the video recipe of pasi paruppu payasam. Do watch it and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Jaggery powdered – 1/3 cup
- Coconut grated – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 2 tsp
- Raisins – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Wash and pressure cook moong dal adding water and milk for 3 whistles.
2. Once the pressure seizes, mash it well. Take jaggery in saucepan and add little water and boil until jaggery dissolves.
3. Filter the jaggery to remove impurities and pour into mashed dal.
4. Keep it in medium flame and add cardamom powder.
5. Stir well and keep cooking in low flame for few minutes. Keep in low flame to prevent curdling.
6. Once it becomes thick, add coconut and nuts fried in ghee.
7. Mix and transfer to serving bowl.