Pineapple obbattu / puran poli recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Pineapple obbattu / puran poli is a popular, traditional festival sweet that is prepared with different varieties of stuffing. The poli is usually prepared with coconut or sweet dal stuffing inside a maida dough. I came across this pineapple obbattu in one of the street side shops recently opened in my mom’s place. I was surprised to try this pineapple poli for the first time and it is tastier than other poli varieties that I had. So I immediately wanted to try it at home the very next day and could come out with the exact taste. The members at home totally loved it and also it is healthy as it is made of whole wheat flour. Do try it for any festival and let me know your feedback.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- paruppu obbattu
- coconut obbattu
- coconut sweet kozhukattai
- paruppu puttu
- fried modak
- pineapple grill on tawa
I have uploaded the video recipe of pineapple obbattu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 45 minutes
No. Of serving : 6
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required for making dough
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Pineapple – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 2
- Salt – pinch
1. For preparing dough, take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add Turmeric powder and salt to it and mix well.
2. Pour water little by little and knead well making a smooth dough. Add oil and knead well. Keep covered for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the stuffing. Add pineapple slices, grated coconut and Cardamom in a mixer. Add very little water and grind into thick paste. Keep aside.
4. Wash and pressure cook Channa dal adding enough water for 2-3 whistles. Once pressure releases, drain all the water and use it for making rasam.
5. Add the cooked dal and jaggery to mixer and pulse it until just combined into coarse mixture.
6. Heat a pan adding a tbsp of Ghee. Now add the pineapple paste, dal jaggery mixture and pinch of salt to it.
7. Keep stirring and cook in medium flame until it becomes thick and comes together as whole mixture. The stuffing is ready. Allow it to cool and make small balls.
8. For making obbattu, knead the wheat flour dough once and divide into equal sized balls.
9. Grease the hands with oil or ghee. Take one ball of dough and flatten it above banana leaf or butter paper.
10. Place the stuffing inside and cover the dough on all sides. Flatten it gently and form a round shape.
11. Heat a griddle / tawa. Drizzle some ghee and place the prepared obbattu. Cook in medium flame on both sides until the brown spots appear. Repeat for remaining dough and stuffing.
12. The tasty pineapple obbattu ready. Prepare for any occasions and enjoy.