Pudalangai kootu is a delicious, simple side dish for rice. It is no onion no garlic recipe that is prepared adding paruppu and coconut mixture. This kootu can be enjoyed with hot rice and ghee for lunch.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of pudalangai kootu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Snake gourd – 1 medium size
- Masoor dal / moong dal – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Green chilli – 3
1. Wash snake gourd, cut and remove the spongy center part along with seeds. Chop into small pieces.
2. Wash the dal and take it in pressure cooker, add the chopped snake gourd along with 3 cups of water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Meanwhile, take coconut, cumin, Coriander seeds and green chilli in mixer. Add little water and grind into smooth paste. Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add red chilli and saute for a minute.
5. Add the cooked dal mixture from cooker after the pressure releases. Stir well and add little water if required.
6. Add turmeric powder, Asafoetida and sambar powder. Mix well and add required salt.
7. Now, add the grounded coconut mixture and stir well until mixed. Cook in low flame for 5 minutes until it starts boiling.
8. Once done, remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot to rice adding ghee.