The festival is a time that spreads positive vibes throughout the house and we enjoy different varieties of tastes. Sweets plays a key role during festival season and I am trying all sorts of new recipes for pooja to make God and my family happy. I have prepared pumpkin kheer for Saraswathi pooja and we totally loved it. I had it for the first time and it is absolutely delicious. When I asked my husband to find the main ingredient of the payasam, he couldn’t even guess. He is totally surprised when I said it is pumpkin. Do try this at home for the festival and relish.
Total time required: 20 minutes
No. Of serving: 4
- Pumpkin – 1/2 medium size vegetable
- Milk – 3 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Sugar – 6 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
- Rose water – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
1. Wash, remove the seeds and skin of pumpkin. Chop into small pieces and put into pressure cooker.
2. Add milk to the cooker and cook the pumpkin for 2-3 whistles. Once the pressure seizes, remove the lid and put the cooker into stove again.
3. Mash the pumpkin pieces with masher or ladle. Add water and cook in medium flame.
4. Add cardamom powder and sugar. Stir well and cook until the quantity reduces and it becomes little thick.
5. Remove from flame, add bay leaves and rose water. mix and add cashews and raisins fried in ghee to the payasam.
6. Mix and serve warm or chilled.