Ragi malt recipe with step-wise pictures. Ragi malt is the years old traditional healthy drink prepared at our home. It is nutritious and delicious drink that can be prepared easily at home without getting store bought mixes. This drink can be given to kids as breakfast making it thick porridge or as a evening drink. The recipe here is for the direct ragi malt and I have also shared the recipe for preparing the ragi malt powder that can be prepared and stored in airtight container.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Ragi flour – 2 heaped tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Almond powder – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Saffron – pinch
- Ghee / Butter – 1 tsp
1. Melt ghee in a pan and add the ragi flour to it. Roast it well in medium flame until it changes color and gives the aroma of roasted flour.
2. Then reduce the flame and pour water to the roasted flour. Keep whisking continously without forming lumps.
3. Cook it for 2-3 minutes until it becomes thick. Now pour the milk and stir well without lumps.
4. Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron and almond powder to it. Cook in medium flame until it becomes little thick like porridge.
5. Serve it as such or strain using strainer to remove lumps.
6. Garnish with almond powder.
To make ragi malt powder:
- Dry roast one cup of ragi flour in a pan until it changes color and allow it to cool.
- Take 1/2 cup of almond, Cashews or any nuts of your choice in a blender. Add 1/2 cup or required sugar and 2-3 cardamom pods to it and blend everything into a fine powder.
- Mix the blended nuts powder and roasted ragi flour together and store it in airtight container.
- To make malt drink, add a tsp of prepared malt powder to the hot milk and stir well.