Ragi noodles is a healthy, tasty breakfast recipe. It can be prepared easily at home. Ragi helps in weight loss so this is my next recipe in the series of weight-loss recipes. For making this masala ragi noodles, I have used store bought ragi noodles. I am sharing the recipes of both homemade and readymade noodles here. I have already prepared sweet ragi noodles at home and shared the recipe before on blog. So I am taking few pictures from that recipe for showing homemade noodles. You can also have a look at sweet ragi noodles / santhagai recipe.
Homemade noodles can be prepared in two ways. One is by cooking ragi flour with water and making into noodles. The another way is preparing noodles in idiyappam maker with prepared ragi dough and steaming it.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Ragi – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – 5
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted gram powder – 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – as required
FOR MAKING HOMEMADE NOODLES:
- Dry roast ragi flour for a minute. Boil 2 cups of water in a pan.
- Add ragi flour, salt and oil to the water and mix without lumps. Cook in low flame stirring continuously until it becomes thick.
- Once it comes together, let it cool a bit. Take the cooked ragi dough and make into a smooth log.
- Put into idiyappam maker and press to make thick noodles. Collect the noodles in a plate and keep aside.
FOR COOKING READYMADE NOODLES:
- Boil required water in a pan and add the readymade strings to it. Cook for 5 minutes in medium flame until it becomes soft.
- Drain the water and add cold water to the noodles. Let the water drain completely and keep aside.
FOR MAKING MASALA NOODLES:
1. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal to it.
2. Once it splutters add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute until it turns translucent.
3. Add chopped tomato and saute well until it becomes soft and mushy.
4. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder and required salt.
5. Stir and pour little water. Cook until everything combines well and gives thick masala.
6. Add the ragi noodles (homemade or cooked ready-made) to the masala and cook for a minute. Add roasted gram powder and stir it gently to coat the masala to noodles.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from flame.
The healthy, tasty ragi masala noodles is ready.