Rava puttu recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Puttu is a traditional and healthy steamed breakfast recipe in Kerala. It is prepared with rice flour, red rice flour, wheat flour and ragi. Puttu with semolina is not a usual recipe but tastes great as like all other puttu recipes. It is bit sticky and can be prepared easily in idli cooker, steamer or puttu maker.
This rava puttu can be served with milk and banana, kadala curry or egg kurma. I always love to eat sweet version of puttu with banana and coconut milk.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of rava puttu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 2
- Rava – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – pinch
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nuts – as required
1. Dry roast rava in medium flame until it slightly changes color.
2. Once done, put rava in a mixing bowl. Add salt and sprinkle water little by little. Mix well to get crumble like consistency. (Refer notes)
3. Take grated coconut and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add it to the bottom of puttu maker to form a coconut layer.
4. Add the rava mixture to form a layer on top of coconut layer.
5. Place the puttu maker in top of steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
6. Once done, add the steamed puttu to a bowl, add some more coconut, sugar, cardamom powder, nuts and mix well.
7. Serve it warm and enjoy.
- You can also steam it in idli cooker. Add the mixed rava crumbles to a clean thin cotton cloth. Close and keep it inside idli plate. Steam for 10 minutes until the rava is steamed.
- To know puttu consistency, take the rava crumbles in hand and press. It should hold shape and when pressed tighter it should crumble.