Mango rice recipe with step-wise pictures. Mango rice is a seasonal variety rice usually prepared during mango season. It is prepared with cooked rice and freshly grated raw mango. This is similar to other south Indian variety rice but with a tangy taste and flavor of raw mango. It is been years since I had this so thought of doing it as the mango season started. This is perfect meal with a vadam or chips.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Cooked rice – 3 cups
- Raw mango – 1
- Roasted peanut powder – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
1. Wash and pressure cook rice until fluffy. Keep aside. Wash the mango, peel the skin and grate it.
2. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal. Once it splutters add red chilli and curry leaves.
3. Add chopped onion and saute until it becomes translucent. Now add grated mango along with turmeric powder, sambar powder and required salt.
4. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes until raw smell goes. Add the cooked mango mixture to the cooked rice.
5. Add roasted peanut powder and mix everything gently until the all rice grains gets well coated.
6. You can also add the rice to the cooked mango mixture and mix.
7. Adding roasted peanut powder is optional but adding it gives a nice crunchy taste.
8. The tangy and tasty manga sadham is ready.