Puttu is a traditional Kerala recipe and my favorite breakfast dish. I usually make ragi and wheat puttu. This is my first try with red rice flour. I always love to eat puttu with banana, jaggery and coconut milk. It is not only delicious and healthy but also low in calories. This is good weight loss recipe and can also be served as evening snack. I have used store bought red rice flour. You can also make it with homemade rice flour and to know how to prepare homemade red rice flour refer notes section below. This puttu is rich in Iron and can be given to toddlers. My baby liked it so much and hence this moves to my often preparing recipes list. I just noticed it while drafting, Can you notice my image taking pictures in that brass cup. ??? 🙂 🙂
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Red rice flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Salt – pinch
- Water – as required ( approx 6-7 tbsp)
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Banana – for serving
- Coconut milk – for serving
1. Sieve the rice flour and take it in a bowl. Add salt and sprinkle water little by little to the flour and mix until it turns crumbly.
2. Once you try to hold flour in hand it has to form shape and when given little pressure it has to crumble. This is the correct puttu consistency.
3. Add the flour to a clean cloth and steam it in idli cooker for 15-20 minutes. The aroma of steamed flour will come out.
4. Remove from steamer. Transfer to a bowl, add grated coconut and mix everything with a spoon.
5. The delicious sweet puttu is ready. Serve it with banana and coconut milk.
You can also serve puttu with kadala curry for savory version.
To make homemade red rice flour:
Soak the rice in water for 2 hours. Then drain the water and spread the rice in a cloth for drying. Grind it into powder using mixie or in mill. Sieve to remove lumps if any and dry roast the flour for a minute to remove moisture. Store in airtight container.