Seem paal / Colostrum milk sweet recipe with step-wise pictures. Seem paal is a special pudding or cake prepared with colostrum milk that cow produces for the first few days after it delivers calf. This milk is rich in antibodies, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins. It makes the immune system stronger. The milk is thick and pale yellow in color. This cake or pudding can be prepared by boiling the milk or steaming it in cooker or idli steamer. I remember eating this seem paal in my grandma house some years back when we had our own cow and loved it. I was searching for this milk in many places and fortunate to get it in this vacation to our native. Though it is not available nowadays in many places, you have to try this delicious pudding at least once.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 4-5
- Colostrum milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 2
1. Add water to the idli steamer and keep a plate at bottom to separate the bowl and bottom of steamer.
2. Take colostrum milk in a wide bowl that fits inside the steamer.
3. Add sugar and cardamom to the milk and mix well with spoon until the sugar dissolves.
4. Place the bowl inside the steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes until the milk becomes firm like pudding.
5. Switch off and let it remain in steamer for a while.
6. Remove the bowl and invert the pudding gently to a plate.
Slice and serve. Enjoy this delightful milk cake.
- Seem paal can also be prepared by boiling the colostrum milk in wide pan. After boiling for 10-15 minutes the milk solids tends to separate and becomes thick. Add jaggery and cardamom to at this stage and stir continuously to avoid burning. The color changes to dark brown and continue cooking until it becomes thick evaporating all the water. This method gives theratipal / palkova like crumbles in the picture below.
- Refer here for instant microwave palkova that can be prepared in minutes : INSTANT MICROWAVE THERATIPAL
Enjoy the seem paal as theraipal by boiling or as milk pudding cake by steaming.