Semiya biryani / vermicelli biryani recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Semiya biryani is a quick, tasty recipe that can be had as breakfast, lunch or dinner. This biryani is great alternative to normal vermicelli upma. This biryani goes well with chutney, raita or kurma.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of semiya biryani below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Vermicelli – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Carrot – 1
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Bread slices – 2
- Oil – 2 tsp + 1 tsp
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1
- Mint leaves – 6
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom – 2
- Salt – as required
1. Heat a pan, add vermicelli and dry roast it in medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
2. Boil water in another pan. Add a tsp of oil and add roasted vermicelli to it. Cook for 2 minutes or until 90% cooked.
3. Drain the cooked vermicelli from water and keep aside. Gently fluff with fork to separate it.
4. Heat a pan with oil, add the spices (cinnamon, Cloves and Cardamom) and saute for a minute.
5. Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Now add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes.
6. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. Now add mint leaves and saute for a minute.
7. Now add chopped carrot and green peas to it and saute for a minute. Add required water, salt, garam masala powder and chilli powder.
8. Mix well and cook covered until the water evaporates and veggies get cooked. Tear the bread slices into pieces and add to it.
9. Saute for a minute until everything is combined. Add the cooked vermicelli and gently mix with fork. Cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
10. The tasty semiya biryani is ready.
11. Serve hot with chutney or raita.