Surul appam recipe – Surul appam is a traditional sweet prepared in Thanjavur region. It is nothing but stuffed and rolled sweet pancakes. Surul appam is prepared with coconut, sugar and flour as the main ingredients. It is simple, easy to make and tastes delicious. I saw this recipe in TV programme and heard that this appam is prepared and served to newly wed couples in southern part of Tamil Nadu.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- All purpose flour – 5 tbsp
- Sugar – 5 tbsp
- Coconut grated – 5 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
1. To prepare the stuffing, take grated coconut, sugar and Cardamom powder in a bowl. Mix together with spoon and keep aside.
2. Now, take all purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add a tbsp of sugar and salt to it. Mix together to make batter adding water little by little.
3. The batter has to be thinner than dosa batter consistency. Heat a griddle, drizzle some ghee and pour a ladle full of batter on it.
4. Spread into thin dosa and cook in medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for a minute.
5. Do not overcook and remove from pan before it starts turning brown on both sides. Repeat for remaining batter.
6. Now take the prepared pancake and place 2 tbsp of coconut stuffing on one side. Spread all over the surface and roll from one end towards the other.
7. Arrange the prepared and rolled pancakes in a plate and add some grated coconut on top.
8. Serve and enjoy this delicious surul appam.