Sweet banana bonda recipe with step-wise pictures. Sweet banana bonda is a perfect snack to have in evening. This recipe is very common in India and can be seen in most of the tea shops. Also, this is best recipe to use over ripen banana. I wanted to use the ripen banana lying in my kitchen without baking. As I have already prepared muffins with the ripen banana two days before and the remaining few banana got ripen again. I was thinking of doing a bonda recipe as it is was long back since I did at home. Then this recipe flashed in my mind and tried immediately to have with cup of tea. It is soft, spongy and crispy outside.
- Banana – 2
- Wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Coconut grated – 1/3 cup
- Cooking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Water – as required for batter (approx. 3/4 cup)
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Sieve wheat flour and rice flour to a mixing bowl, then add all the remaining dry ingredients (sugar, cooking soda, cardamom powder, salt, dry ginger powder and grated coconut).
2. Mix well and add water little by little as required. Whisk well without lumps to form a thick batter.
3. Mash banana in separate bowl and add to the batter. Keep aside covered for half an hour.
4. Heat oil in a pan for frying and check by dropping small ball of batter into oil and it has to rise to top immediately. This is the correct stage for frying.
5. Then keep the flame to medium, take a small amount of batter in hand and drop into oil in ball shape. Drop 5-6 balls at a time and do not overcrowd.
6. Fry in medium flame until it turns golden brown on all sides. Remove from heat and drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
7. Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee.