Sweet boondi recipe with step-wise pictures. Wish you all a very happy and safe diwali. Sweet boondi is one of the recipes in my to do list and finally made it today for diwali. It is such a quick and simple sweet. Though it is my first attempt in making boondi, it came out really well. Loved the taste of chewy juicy boondis. The sugar syrup coated the boondi all over. I have prepared little extra sugar syrup for this quantity of boondis so it coated well and tasted yummy. This can be prepared even at the last moment of celebration and enjoy.
Total preparation time : 30 minutes
No. of serving : 4
- Besan flour – 1 cup
- Cooking soda – pinch
- Food color – pinch
- Cloves – 2
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
- Oil – for deep frying
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat ghee and fry cashews, raisins and cloves until it slightly changes color. Keep aside.
2. Prepare sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water until it comes to single string consistency. When you take a drop of syrup and rub between thumb and fore finger, a thin string has to be formed.
3. Add cardamom powder to the syrup and mix. Let us start making boondis.
4. Sieve besan and cooking soda to a mixing bowl. Add little water and mix together into a thick batter. Add food color and mix.
5. If the batter is very thick add very little water and mix to get batter in thick flowing consistency. The consistency of batter is important. It should not be very thick nor thin.
6. Heat oil for deep frying. We need three ladles, one for pouring batter, another for making boondi, and the third for draining it from oil.
7. Now pour a ladle full of batter on top of ladle with holes, holding it just above the oil. The boondis will drop from ladle into oil through the holes. Spread it like making dosa to fasten the process.
8. Cook in medium flame with constant stirring and remove from oil once the bubbles in oil seizes. The boondi should not be cooked crispy.
9. Wipe the ladle used for making boondi before making each batch. Repeat the process for remaining batter.
10. Drain the boondis and immediately add to the prepared warm sugar syrup. If the syrup is cooled then heat to make it warm. Do not boil.
11. Add Cashews, raisins and Cloves fried in ghee to the boondi and mix well. As it cools, the sugar syrup will be absorbed and crystallizes.
12. Enjoy this juicy boondi.
- Store in airtight container and it remains good for a week.
- Wiping the ladle before each batch of preparation prevents the formation of irregular shaped boondis.
- If batter is thick then it forms tails and if the batter is thin then it forms flat boondis.
- The consistency is important so check consistency by dropping little batter using back side of spoon before proceeding.