Sweet potato kheer is an easy, delicious dessert recipe prepared with sweet potato, jaggery and moong dal as the main ingredients. This can be prepared for any festival or during fasting days. It is absolutely delicious and healthy. I like sweet potatoes and get it monthly for having as evening snacks. The sweet potato that I got this time is not at all sweet and tasty. My people at home didn’t eat it after boiling so I thought of preparing payasam with the boiled sweet potatoes. You can also grate it before adding to the payasam and cook.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- Vermicelli kheer
- Carrot kheer
- Palada pradhaman
- Elaneer payasam
- Moong dal payasam
- Kasa kasa payasam
- Badam kheer
- Mango payasam
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Sweet potato – 2
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 and 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Cashews – 6
- Raisins – 10
- Ghee – 2 tsp
1. Wash the sweet potato well, scrap the outer skin and cook it adding water. You can boil it or pressure cook for 2 whistles in cooker.
2. Once done, chop the cooked sweet potatoes into small pieces. Keep aside. Fry Cashews and raisins in ghee.
3. Wash the moong dal and take it in a pan. Add milk and water to it and boil in medium flame until the dal gets well cooked.
4. Add sweet potato pieces to the cooked dal and stir well. Add salt, cardamom powder & dry ginger powder and cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
5. Meanwhile take jaggery and water in another pan and boil until jaggery dissolves. Strain the jaggery syrup into the dal mixture.
6. Mix everything well and boil in low flame until it thickens a little. Add grated coconut, Cashews and raisins fried in ghee.
7. Mix well and switch off the flame. The delicious sweet potato payasam is ready.
8. Serve it warm or chilled and enjoy.