I have prepared sweet potato gulab jamun and had some leftover sugar syrup. I don’t want to waste it so prepared this wheat flour biscuits which came out so well. It is crispy outside and soft inside. It is mild in sweetness and makes a perfect healthy snack for kids. Shravanthi liked it so much and asked for more. See how adorably she is holding the biscuits and eating.
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Sugar syrup – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 1
- Rose water – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
- Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp (optional)
1. I have used leftover gulab jamun syrup. If you are making for this recipe directly then first start with making sugar syrup. Boil sugar and water until it turns sticky. No need of any consistency.
2. Add cardamom and boil for a minute. Remove from flame and add rose water. Let it cool.
3. Take wheat flour in mixing bowl, add salt and ghee. Mix to make crumbly.
4. Add sugar syrup to the flour and mix well. Knead into smooth dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
5. Make medium size balls out of dough and take a ball in flat surface. Roll into thick circles with rolling pin. Dust some flour if required.
6. Cut into diamond shapes using knife and take out the cut diamond pieces and keep aside. Repeat for remaining dough.
7. Heat oil for deep frying. Drop the pieces and fry in medium flame until it turns golden brown on both sides.
8. Remove from oil and drain excess oil in tissues. Dust some sugar on biscuits before serving. This is optional.
9. Store it airtight container and it remains good even for a month.
- I have used leftover sugar syrup. This can also be done in other way if you are preparing sugar syrup for the recipe. Make dough with only wheat flour and roll into circles. Cut into diamonds and deep fry. Then drop into sugar syrup after frying and mix until it the syrup coats well. Once it cools, the sugar syrup crystallizes on top of biscuits.