Thandai is a famous North Indian spiced milk served during holi and shivaratri. This is prepared by adding Almonds, Cashews and other spices to the milk. This is similar to the masala milk we prepare, extra spices and nuts are added to the thandai recipe. This is usually served chill and best milk drink to give kids. I have given below two methods of preparing thandai by instantly and by making thandai powder. Thandai powder can be stored in container and added to milk whenever needed. It is tasty and healthy compared to the store bought mixes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Milk – 1 litre
- Rose water – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Gulkand – 2 tsp (optional)
- Saffron – 30 strands
FOR THANDAI POWDER:
- Almonds – 20
- Cashews – 20
- Melon seeds – 2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom – 5
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Pepper – 10 seeds
- Nutmeg – 1
1. For making thandai powder. Dry roast all the ingredients listed under “for thandai powder”. Add it to a blender, grind into fine or coarse powder and store into container.
2. Add a tsp of thandai powder to hot milk whenever needed and serve as such or strain it before serving.
3. If making thandai directly then soak all the ingredients under “for thandai powder” in water overnight. Strain and grind into smooth paste.
4. Boil milk in a pan. Add sugar and saffron strands to it and stir until sugar dissolves.
5. Add the thandai paste to the milk. Mix and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove from flame and allow it to cool. Strain the milk and add gulkand and rose water. I have skipped it as I didn’t have it while preparing.
7. Mix well and refrigerate for an hour. Serve chilled in tall glasses adding chopped nuts.