Thatta payir sweet urundai is a one of the old traditional forgotten recipes. We call it as dhadha urundai in our place and I have had it only once when I was young. It is prepared by my great grandmother and remember her making so many healthy recipes. Though I was too young to know the importance of her cooking, now I really miss her and wish her to be there now.
I got this recipe from one of our relative and immediately tried it the next day. I could really make it but I am not sure if I have matched to the taste of my great grandma. It is similar to the process of making sweet vadai but very simple than that. It requires only few ingredients to make a this wholesome healthy sweet.
I have uploaded the video for this thatta payir sweet urundai below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Soaking time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 12 urundai
- Thatta payir – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups for making syrup
- Cardamom – 2
- Dry ginger – 1/2 inch
- Oil – for frying
1. Wash the thatta payir and soak it in 2 cups of water for about an hour.
2. Meanwhile, let’s start with making jaggery syrup. Boil jaggery with water until it dissolves.
3. Filter to remove impurities and boil again until it becomes little thick to syrup consistency.
4. To check the consistency, drop few drops to water in a glass and it should not dissolve.
5. Crush the dry ginger and Cardamom to a mortar using a pestle. Add it to the jaggery syrup and mix. Keep aside.
6. Now for making the urundai, after soaking, drain the thatta payir and add it to a blender.
7. Add little water and grind into a smooth thick batter. Transfer the batter to a bowl.
8. Heat oil in a pan, check the temperature by dropping small piece. It has to bubble and raise to top immediately.
9. Take small portion of the thick batter, make it into ball and drop into oil slowly.
10. Fry it in medium flame until it turns golden. Drain from oil and drop into the prepared jaggery syrup.
11. Let it be soaked in syrup for one hour or until the balls absorb the syrup well.
12. Serve and enjoy this healthy sweet.