Thengai payasam is a traditional south Indian recipe prepared during festivals. It is prepared with coconut, rice, milk and jaggery in different methods. I have modified the payasam recipe to make it quickly and easily. I have used leftover cooked rice to the make this payasam while the traditional recipe is made with raw rice. I made this payasam yesterday for the first time for karthigai deepam and loved it. This is rich, flavorful and delicious with the unique taste of coconut.
Total time required : 10 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Raw Rice – 3 tbsp
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 3
- Condensed milk or jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1/2 cup
1. If using raw rice then soak the rice in water for half an hour and add it to mixer after draining the water. I have used 1/3 cup of cooked rice.
2. Add coconut and cardamom to the rice in mixer and grind into coarse paste adding little water. Keep aside.
3. Boil milk and water together in a pan and once it comes to boil, simmer the flame.
4. Add the grounded coconut rice paste to the milk and stir continuously without forming lumps. I have used wired whisk for stirring.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame and add condensed milk to it. Stir well and cook until it becomes thick like porridge.
6. Raw rice may take little longer to cook. If adding jaggery then add it once the payasam cools a bit else the milk may curdle.
7. The delicious coconut payasam is ready. I have added a tsp of coconut sugar on top before serving.
- This payasam can also be prepared the other way by cooking the coconut rice mixture in jaggery syrup and adding the milk finally.
- You can also add Cashews and raisins fried in ghee. I have skipped it.