As festival is around the corner I wanted to try a healthy sweet recipe and finally decided of preparing Thinai Payasam. This millet is easy to digest and controls blood sugar when consumed on regular basis. This kheer is normally prepared by adding jaggery and cooking the millet with water or pressure cooking. I have cooked thinai in milk to make the kheer rich and creamy. Do try this millet kheer for new year and wish you all a happy and prosperous new year 🙂 🙂
- Thinai / Foxtail millet – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 2 cups
- Palm sugar – 1/2 cup
- Salt – pinch (optional)
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chopped nuts – 2 tsp
1.Wash thinai in water properly and keep aside.
2.Boil milk in a pan and when it starts to boil add thinai and water to it.
3.Cook for about 15 minutes in low flame until it turns soft and cooked well.
4.Add palm sugar, salt and cardamom powder and stir continuously.
5.When everything blends together add ghee and chopped nuts. Give a quick mix and switch off flame.
6.Garnish with chopped nuts at top and enjoy this yummy kheer.
- Half cup of Coconut milk can be added instead of water for extra flavour.
- For cooking thinai, the ratio of water is 1:3 and it gets cooked faster.
- I always have dry fruits powder at home as it is easy to add in any recipe. Cashews and raisins fried in ghee can be added instead.