Tomato biryani recipe with step-wise pictures. Tomato biryani is a tasty, easy one pot meal prepared in pressure cooker. This is a perfect meal in weekends that can be enjoyed with simple raita. This biryani can be had as lunch or dinner. I have learned this version of making tomato biryani from my husband. He is a great cook and biryani is his speciality recipe. He told me that this is bachelor’s biryani and his roommate make it this way.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- cabbage biryani
- chettinad mint biryani
- mushroom biryani
- palak peas biryani
- semiya biryani
- paneer biryani
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 4
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Curd – 1/4 cup
- Salt – as required
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Star anise – 1
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
1. Wash the rice and soak in water for 10 minutes. Chop the onion and tomatoes and keep aside.
2. Heat a pressure cooker adding oil. Now add 3 tbsp of curd to oil. Mix and stir in oil until curd shrinks. Be careful as oil will split all around.
3. Add all the spices mentioned under “dry spices”. Saute for a minute and add chopped onion.
4. Saute until translucent and add ginger garlic paste to it. Stir and cook until raw smell goes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and required salt to it. Mix and cook until mushy.
6. Add chilli powder and remaining curd to it. Stir until oil separates on top.
7. Then add the soaked rice draining from water and saute for a minute. Pour required water and check for salt.
8. Stir well and bring to boil. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
9. Once the pressure releases, open the lid, add little ghee and gently fluff the rice.
10. The tasty tomato biryani is ready. Serve hot with raita.