Ulundhu kali recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Ulundhu kali is a healthy, traditional south Indian dish rich in protein and dietary fibers. This kali is very good for women, girls and aged people as it strengthens bones. This is given to pregnant women and girl children when they reach puberty age. It is good to include this healthy kali often in our diet for breakfast or evening snacks.
You may also like similar traditional recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of Ulundhu kali below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 4-5
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 3
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Palm Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 2 and 1/2 cups
- Salt – pinch
- Gingelly oil – 4 tbsp
1. Add urad dal, fenugreek seeds and Cardamom to a mixer and grind into smooth powder. Keep aside.
2. Now for preparing jaggery syrup, add jaggery and water to a pan and boil. Stir until jaggery dissolves and strain to remove impurities.
3. Pour the filtered jaggery syrup back to the pan. Add salt and dry ginger powder to it. Stir well and bring it to boil.
4. Add the Urad dal flour little by little and keep stirring without forming lumps.
5. Once the flour and jaggery is combined well, add 2 tsp of gingelly oil at regular intervals and keep mixing with ladle.
6. The mixture has to become thick combining together without sticking to sides of the pan. Once done, switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
7. Grease the hands with oil and take small portion of dough and roll into medium sized balls.
8. The healthy Ulundhu kali is ready.