Ulunthan kanji is one of the healthy breakfast recipes served in olden days. It is semi solid porridge served in sweet or salt version. I have prepared sweet kanji which is mildly sweet with flavors of coconut and Cardamom. It is usually given to girls at the time of puberty as it strengthens bone and spinal cord. It is very good for pregnant woman and old age people. A little quantity of urad dal is enough to prepare for the whole family. A glass of kanji is fulfilling and makes a light breakfast. It is best served during winters as morning drink.
Total time required : 45 minutes
No. Of serving : 4-5
- Urad dal – 1/4 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 3
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
1. Wash well and soak urad dal in water for about 30 minutes.
2. After soaking time, drain the urad dal and add into blender along with cardamom. Add little water and grind into smooth paste.
3. Boil water in a pan, add jaggery to the water and dissolve it. Strain to remove impurities.
4. Keep it again in flame and boil the jaggery water in low flame. Add the urad dal paste to the boiling water and keep stirring.
5. Cook for 4-5 minutes in medium flame by stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
6. Once it becomes thick and smooth like porridge, remove from flame and add grated coconut to the kanji.
7. Mix and serve it warm.
- After adding urad dal batter, stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- The porridge will become thick once it cools, so adjust accordingly.
- A cup of boiled milk can be added to kanji once it cools.
Enjoy this kanji as morning drink instead of tea or coffee.