Vallarai keerai chutney recipe with step-wise pictures. Vallarai keerai chutney is a popular medicinal herb used in India. It is very good for hair and skin. It has many medicinal uses like treats stomach ulcers, cures stress, depression and improves memory power. The recipes with this Spinach is minimal and I have prepared a easy thuvaiyal that goes well with rice and dosa.
- Vallarai keerai leaves – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Red chilli – 4
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
1. Wash the leaves and keep aside. Chop onion and tomato.
2. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add urad dal and red chilli. Fry in low flame for a minute.
3. Add chopped onion and saute until it becomes translucent. Then add tomato and saute until it turns soft and mushy.
4. Add vallarai keerai leaves to it and saute for a minute. The leaves will shrink within a minute.
5. Then add tamarind to it and remove from flame. Allow it to cool.
6. Once cooled transfer it to mixer, then add Coriander seeds, salt, coconut and ginger to it.
7. Grind into thick chutney adding little water. Check for salt and add if required. Transfer into a bowl.
8. Heat a tsp of oil and mustard seeds. Once it splutters add curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the chutney.
9. Mix and serve with hot rice.