Varagu, which is called as kodo millet is one of the healthiest millets. It is rich in minerals and one of the low calorie food. It is good to include millets in our diet often as it is easy to digest and good for kids and old age people. I love millets and my favorite is ragi and kambu. I saw the packed of varagu maavu (millet flour) in a store and got it to try a simple chocolate cake with it.
This varagu chocolate cake is simple to make and tastes really good. I have slightly modified my previous cooker cake recipe and gave a try. The cake turned out too good, I have topped with some cashews. The top got more cracks and you can cut the top to get a even layer.
Here are some more cooker cake recipes:
- Atta sooji dates cake
- Whole wheat ragi chocolate cake
- Vanilla sponge cake
- Whole wheat chocolate cake
I have uploaded the video recipe for this eggless varagu chocolate cake below. Please do watch it and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 2 hours
No. Of serving : 1 medium size cake
- Varagu flour – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Health mix (sathu maavu) – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Oil – 6 tbsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Cashews – 10
1. Fill the bottom of pressure cooker with sand or salt for about one inch.
2. Place a small bowl or a separator on sand. Remove gasket and whistle, close the lid and heat it. This is done to create preheating effect.
3. Meanwhile, sieve karagu, wheat and health mix flours to a mixing bowl. Add cocoa powder and mix everything.
4. Add sugar, oil and milk to the flour and whisk gently without forming lumps. The batter has to be in thick pouring consistency.
5. The varagu and health mix will absorb the water well so add little more milk if needed to get batter consistency.
6. Take a vessel that fits inside the cooker and grease it will oil. Pour the batter into the greased vessel.
7. Add chopped Cashews on top and place the vessel inside the cooker. Close the lid of cooker without gasket and whistle.
8. Keep it on high flame for 30 minutes and simmer after that. Bake until the back of inserted spoon comes out clean. Mine took about 90 minutes to get done.
9. Once done, let it completely cool. Invert into a plate and slice.
10. Enjoy this healthy and tasty millet cake.
You can also decorate it with fruits or your favorite icing.