Vegetable rice is a perfect lunch rice to have with curd. This is similar to sambar sadam but prepared without adding dal. This rice looks more like biryani but the spices are not added as like biryani. My mother prepares this often as lunch menu for school. This vegetable rice can be given to babies as it is less spicy. It is one pot meal and makes a perfect lunch for your lazy day in kitchen. There are many variations of making vegetable rice by adding spices, but this is my version adding tamarind juice. I have prepared drumstick masala as side dish for this rice. I have uploaded the video for this recipe below.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Rice – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup ( carrot, beans & potato)
- Onion – 1
- Tomatoes – 2
- Tamarind juice – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – as needed
1. Wash and cut the vegetables into small pieces. Chop onion and tomato. Soak tamarind and extract juice. Keep aside.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with oil, add mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal.
3. Once it splutters, add cumin seeds. Add onions and saute well until it turns color.
4. Add tomatoes and saute until it becomes mushy. Add vegetables and mix well for a minute.
5. Pour the tamarind juice to it and bring to boil. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and sambar powder to it.
6. Mix and boil for a minute. Once the raw smell goes, add rice along with required water.
7. Check for salt and add if needed. Close the lid and pressure cook for three whistles.
8. Once the pressure releases, add ghee and coriander leaves. Gently fluff the rice.
9. Serve hot with a poriyal and curd.