This stuffed braided bread is a wheat flour bread prepared by stuffing the vegetable filling. It is glossy, tasty and completely filling. You can also prepare any stuffing with mushrooms, eggs or paneer. Each bite gives the goodness of filling and it is kind of fun snack for kids after school.
I have got a new gas oven recently and tried this braided bread for the first time. My oven didn’t give even browning at top and I am yet to experiment with it. I learned this bread in baking class that I have attended and tried the recipe with whole wheat flour. So I have mentioned some quantities in ml and gms.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of this stuffed braided bread below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Baking time : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Water – 200 ml
- Milk – 50 ml
- Yeast – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Salt – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Potato – 4 boiled
- Peas – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. First start with making dough. To make dough, sieve the wheat flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Dissolve the yeast in 100 ml of luke warm water adding a tsp of sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
3. Dissolve the salt and sugar in the remaining 100 ml of water.
4. Once the yeast turns frothy, add it to the wheat flour in bowl along with the sugar salt mixture.
5. Now add milk and oil to the flour. Mix everything and knead into smooth dough.
6. Cover it with cling wrap and keep it in warm place for about 2 hours for first rising.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
8. Add onion and saute well. Add the cooked and mashed potato along with green peas.
9. Mix and add the remaining ingredients given under “for filling”.
10. Sprinkle little water and cook for few minutes until it gets well cooked. Allow the filling to cool.
11. Now take the dough after rising and punch it down well. Knead it again and dust little flour if needed as the dough will be little sticky.
12. Divide the dough into three portions. Roll each portion into flat circle using rolling pin.
13. Place the filling in the middle and cut lines on both sides of the filling as shown in the picture.
14. Now start braiding by placing strips from one side on top of another strips from the other side. Refers pictures or the video above.
15. Tuck the edges and place the braided dough in baking tray lined with parchment paper. Allow to rise again for an hour.
16. Preheat the oven for 180°C. Brush the top of dough with milk and bake for about 30 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
17. Allow to cool, slice and serve.