Ven pongal recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Ven pongal is a simple south Indian breakfast recipe. This is perfect to make in busy days as it totally takes less than 15 minutes to make this pongal in pressure cooker. This pongal with coconut chutney and tiffin sambar is the perfect accompaniments and my favorite combo.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of Ven pongal recipe below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Pepper seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
1. Take rice and moong dal in pressure cooker. Wash both the ingredients together and add 5 cups of water and required salt to it.
2. Mix and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles in medium flame. Meanwhile heat a tempering pan adding oil and ghee.
3. Add pepper seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves and asafoetida.
4. Remove from flame and add Cashews and raisins. Mix with a spoon in the heat until it turns golden. This is tempering.
5. Once the pressure of cooker releases, add the tempering to it and mix well with ladle. Add little ghee if needed.
6. The tasty Ven pongal is ready. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- If pongal is watery then switch on the flame and mix in medium flame until water evaporates.
- You can also add inch of ginger pieces. I have skipped ginger and asafoetida.
- The pongal tends to become thick as it cools so adjust the quantity of water accordingly.