Vendakkai sambar recipe with step-wise pictures. Vendakkai sambar is a simple south Indian sambar for rice and dosa. It is dal based gravy prepared with ladies finger. This sambar with rice, ghee and appalam of an outstanding combo. The color of my sambar is darker due to the variety of Tamarind I use. Also I have prepared it in earthen vessel which changes color giving additional taste and flavor.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- vendakkai puli kulambu
- pavakkai kara kulambu
- pacha sundakkai kulambu
- manga paruppu sambar
- pasi paruppu sambar
- hotel style tiffin sambar
- homemade sambar powder
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Ladies finger – 10
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Tamarind juice – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Wash and cut the ladies finger into 1 inch pieces. Soak Tamarind in water and extract the juice.
2. Wash and pressure cook Toor dal adding water. Once pressure releases, mash the dal slightly and keep aside.
3. Heat a kadai, add oil and ladies finger to it. Fry in medium flame until it turns color and becomes non-sticky. Remove from oil and keep aside.
4. Now add mustard and Cumin seeds to the oil in kadai. Once it splutters, add curry leaves, slitted green chilli and chopped onion.
5. Saute until it turns translucent. Add chopped onion and saute until it turns soft.
6. Now add the fried ladies finger to it along with Turmeric powder, chilli powder, Coriander powder and sambar powder.
7. Stir well and cook until raw smell goes. Add the cooked dal along with required water and salt. Mix and boil in medium flame until ladies finger gets cooked.
8. Now add Tamarind juice to it and stir well. Cook for 5-10 minutes in low flame until the sambar becomes frothy on top.
9. Switch off and add Coriander leaves. The delicious vendakkai sambar is ready.
10. Serve hot with rice and appalam.