Vetiver sharbat recipe with step-wise pictures. Vetiver is a flavorful root that is grown largely in India. It is also called as khus is widely used in ayurveda for its medicinal values. It is known for its cooling property, regulates digestion and purifies blood. The drink prepared with vetiver is refreshing, aromatic and healthy. This is the picture of vetiver roots.
We use to drink vetiver water daily when I was in school. My mother puts the roots in steel water filter used in those days. So the water that’s gets filtered and stored in lower chamber is aromatic. I remember my friends asking for the water in my water bottle. Yes it is refreshing and relieves thirst. We also stuff the vetiver in the backside of air cooler so that we get a fresh and cool air during summer in those days. I just love the woody fragrance of vetiver and it reminds me of all those lovely days spent with my mom and dad. Vetiver will be available in any ayurvedic shops or nattu maruthu kadai. Let’s see how to make vetiver sharbat.
Soaking time : overnight
Total cooking time : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 5-6
Recipe Inspiration : vegrecipesofindia
- Vetiver – 70 gms
- Water – 1 litre or 6 cups
- Palm sugar – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1
The quantity is exactly mentioned for your convenience. I have used hand full of vetiver for a litre of water.
MAKING KHUS SYRUP:
1. Wash the roots well in running water such that the soil and dirt gets removed.
2. Take water in a vessel, put the vetiver and keep it closed overnight or for at-least 10 hours.
3. Strain the water using a strainer or cloth. Take the strained water in a pan and keep it in medium flame.
4. Add palm sugar and stir well until the sugar dissolves. Keep boiling by stirring occasionally until the syrup becomes sticky or to one string consistency.
5. Let it cool, squeeze the juice of lemon and stir well. Filter out again and store in clean jar.
6. Refrigerate and use it for a week.
MAKING VETIVER SHARBAT:
Add 4 tbsp of khus syrup and some mint leaves to one cup of water and enjoy this refreshing drink.