Vettu cake recipe with step-wise pictures. Vettu cake is a famous tea shop snack in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It is called vettu cake as it forms cracks (vettu in tamil) while frying. This cake is my favorite cake and I love it so much. We use to get it at bakery and enjoy with tea. I was searching for this recipe and found all most it is made of eggs and maida. I don’t want to use both of the ingredients so tried it with wheat flour. It came out too good with crispy outside and soft inside. The taste is same as the authentic cake.
Total time required : 60 minutes
No. Of serving : 10
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cooking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Water – as required
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Sift wheat flour to a mixing bowl. Add salt, cooking soda, sugar, cardamom powder and butter to the flour.
2. Mix everything well and add milk to it. Mix to form crumbs. You can also powder sugar before adding.
3. Then add water little by little and knead into smooth dough. The dough has to be non sticky. Add little flour if needed.
4. Keep the dough covered for 45 minutes. After resting time, roll the dough into log and cut into 2 inch square pieces.
5. Make a small cut in X or + mark in the center with knife. See the picture for reference.
6. Heat oil for deep frying, check the temperature by dropping small piece of dough. It has to rise to top immediately.
7. Reduce the flame and drop the pieces slowly and fry for 4-5 minutes in batches keeping in low flame. It has to turn golden brown on all sides.
8. Drain the oil using kitchen tissues. Serve warm with tea or coffee.
9. Once cooled it can be stored in airtight container.
- Do not deep fry for long time as it may turn hard.
- Always fry in medium to low flame to ensure even cooking.
- The cake will be soft and becomes crispy as it cools.