Gulab jamun is a very famous Indian dessert and my most favorite sweet. This is made in lots of variations and I have already prepared sweet potato gulab jamun. This is my another try with wheat bread. I have seen recipes with white bread but I have not come across gulab jamun prepared with wheat bread. So I thought of trying it and it is surprisingly delicious. You don’t even get the taste of bread and it is better than the normal jamuns I would say.
Total time required :35 minutes
No.of serving :15 jamuns
- Wheat Bread slices – 6
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Milk powder – 5 tbsp
- Wheat flour – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Saffron – pinch
- Rose water – 1 tsp
1. Let’s start with preparing sugar syrup. Boil sugar and water adding saffron until it becomes sticky. No need of any string consistency. Remove from flame and add rose water to it. Stir and keep aside.
2. Take bread slices and dip both sides of a the bread in milk. Squeeze the excess milk and put the bread into mixing bowl. Repeat for all the bread slices.
3. Add milk powder and wheat flour to the squeezed bread slices in the bowl. Mix everything and knead into dough.
4. Take small portion out of dough and make smooth balls. Do not knead tightly as it will not cook at center.
5. Heat oil in pan for frying. Check the temperature by dropping small piece. It has to increase to top slowly.
6. Drop the jamuns slowly and fry in low flame until it turns brown on all sides.
7. Remove from flame and drop the jamuns into warm sugar syrup. The sugar syrup has to be warm.
8. Let it be soaked for 2 hours. Serve the gulab jamuns warm or chilled.
I always like to eat gulab jamuns with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- I have added wheat flour as I felt the dough is sticky. You can skip it, if you can make smooth dough.
- You can cut the brown crust on sides if you want before dipping.
- Make balls out of dough applying little pressure. If the balls is rolled tight then it will not cook at center.
- This jamuns has to be soaked little longer than the normal jamuns.
I can’t stop clicking these beauties. Looks yummy right ??. I was taking the shots and the jamun at top just rolled down to sides. Have a visual treat….