Wheat daliya payasam is a simple yet extremely delicious payasam prepared during festivals and fasting. This is prepared by cooking wheat rava in milk or in jaggery syrup. I have made it by adding coconut milk and brown sugar. Yes another healthy version of payasam for vegans. I prefer thick payasam and if you want thin consistency then increase the quantity of coconut milk.
I prepared this for my birthday with egg bum briyani. When I asked my husband to guess the ingredients in which I made this payasam, he couldn’t find it. Then I told him it is broken wheat, he was surprised and told me that he is having this for the first time and it is absolutely delicious. Do we need any other thing than a compliment from husband. 🙂 🙂
- Broken wheat – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 10
1. Heat ghee in a pan, add broken wheat and roast for a minute. Then add water to it and cook covered until it gets well cooked and becomes thick absorbing all the water.
2. Then add the sugar and cardamom powder to it and stir well. Now again it will become slightly loose as sugar gets dissolved.
3. Pour coconut milk to it and mix. Cook for a minute in low flame.
4. Add Cashews fried in ghee to the payasam and mix. It becomes slightly thick once cooled.
5. Serve warm and enjoy this yummy payasam.