White pumpkin kootu recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. White pumpkin / vellai poosanikai kootu is a south Indian side dish for rice. Ash gourd is good source of vitamin C and has high water content. It is one of the best summer vegetable to include in our diet. This kootu is very simple to make and tastes delicious with rice and appalam.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of white pumpkin kootu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Ash gourd – medium size
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Red chilli – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the ash gourd, cut and remove the seeds. Chop into small cubes and keep aside.
2. Take all the ingredients given under “for grinding” in a mixer. Add little water and grind into smooth paste. Keep aside.
1. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves and red chilli.
2. Saute for a minute and add chopped onion. Saute until translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
3. Add the ash gourd and saute for 2-3 minutes. Now pour the required water for cooking the vegetable along with required salt and turmeric powder.
4. Mix well and cook covered until the ash gourd turns soft and well cooked. Now add the grounded coconut paste to it and mix.
5. Simmer the flame and cook for 5 minutes. Once it starts boiling in low flame, switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
6. The tasty white pumpkin kootu is ready.